I just received a mail from a head hunter looking for a UX Designer. The skills included were::
- Visual design skill – latest trends, color and typography
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite and prototyping tools
- Web standards, usability best practices, and UI trends
- Interaction design – wireframing, prototyping, HTML5, CSS3.
- A proficiency in building empathy for customer needs
- An aptitude for communicating with colleagues across organizational functions
- The initiative to investigate a problem and generate a multitude of solutions for it
- An eye for intuitiveness and simplicity
- Knowledge of the features, benefits, and weaknesses of a vast array of programming languages and technology platforms
In addition to these, a designer should have some exposure to research and have the ability to convince clients and stakeholders of design decisions.